July 11, 2010

The Rapper's Job Description

Whoops! I thought I had posted this already:

I don't want to make this long or belabor the point, but uh. . . I must admit that I am becoming increasingly discouraged by today's hip hop generation. Thanks to the financial success of lyrical geniuses like Soulja Boy, Wocka Flocka, and Gucci Mane, claiming to be a professional rapper is now easier than ever. All you have to do is rhyme, and I use the term loosely, a few words over a beat - forget about story, purpose, message, all of that. Most of the time, it doesn't even have to be intelligible. Just talk over a beat. That's it. A little disappointing, but hey, what are you going to do?

Now there's a new thing with not holding a microphone. What is that? Is the job not easy enough, now you don't want a microphone? I've had this problem more than once in the past few months. I proceed to record an "artist", and he (no she yet, thank God) is like, "Fnck that, mic. I don't use mics." As far as I go, it's not making air, but somebody has encouraged these morons to maintain their no-mic policy. Maybe I should adopt a no-camera policy. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment